Swine Flu

To begin, I have been admittedly bad at blogging, and for that I am sorry. I am, however, newly resolved to write more frequently.

So swine flu. No one hates swine flu more than Egypt.
When swine flu broke in April Egypt freaked out and killed all the pigs in Egypt. This was tragic as it eliminated thousands of Egyptians' livelihood, and it was pointless because pigs don't transmit H1N1.
The most common fear is that Swine Flu will merge with Bird Flu, creating a vicious flying pig flu that will devastate the country. There also seems to be an understanding that swine flu is prevalent among foreigners.
As a result the government has taken a bunch of drastic measures to prevent H1N1. When you enter the country each person has a thermal photograph taken of them so they know if you are running a fever. If you go to the doctor with a high fever the doctor has to report it to the government, which mandates that you be quarantined in a government hospital at $300/day until the results come back.
Egyptian Muslim Clerics banned children and elderly from the pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia to avoid H1N1, and the government warned that those who did go on the Hajj would be subject to quarantine upon their return.
Aside from our runny noses making Egyptians nervous, H1N1phobia hasn't affected Emily and I very much. We have a friend who is an Epidemiologist for the US government who assured me that H1N1 poses very little threat. The biggest bummer of the scare has been the cancelation of Egyptian schools, and several international schools where people in our church teach. That was, at least, until today when the Egyptian Government shut down the major AmericanSchool where almost all of the kids in the Youth Group go to school. As of tomorrow afternoon, no one is allowed on campus. The school is supposed to reopen in 3 weeks, but we will see. Until that time the kids will have to do work at home. There aren't any cases of H1N1 at the schools, but it seems that any large gathering is cause for concern.
I will keep y'all abreast on my plans to hold an underground school in my apartment.
BpR

As I was posting this, I saw an AFP story on school closing popped up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment